Re: [Usability]Icons in Menus

A third option is to actually have icons for some menu items, but not for all. Putting icons in front of some menu items, makes these more visible and easy to find. If only very common operations (such as copy, cut, paste) have icons, menu navigation might actually be easier.

Of course, this would have to be used consistently throughout all applications, and not so common operations (such as quit or about) should not have icons.

Anyway, this was just a thought. I'm not really proposing this. (And it is sort of how menu icons are used in Gnome, at least in some programs.)

/Per

Seth Nickell wrote:
My personal feeling is that icons are good... if every menu item has an
icon (see Microsoft Word). If some do and some don't, it becomes much
harder to look for the items that don't, and you also get a ragged edge
that you can't just scan right down. If you don't have icons for every
item, I think I'm moderately inclined to say we shouldn't be displaying
any.

-Seth