Re: [Usability] Gnome Wallpaper Properties

Rodney Dawes wrote:

"Images" wouldn't be correct though. "No Wallpaper" contains no images,
for example. And it wouldn't remove any superfluousness from the dialog
in that sense. A list full of thumbnails makes it pretty obvious what it
is. It is nominally decorative and for accessibility. Dumping it
entirely makes it difficult to make the dialog accessible. Looking
throughout my desktop, a great number of the labels are superfluous, at
least in terms of how I understand a computer. Not everyone sees things
in the same way, and sometimes we must be superfluous to allow others to
use things in a similar way. I don't think "it is superfluous" is a
sufficient argument for changing or removing labels in any application.
I am not taking issue with the "Wallpaper" v. "Desktop Background" issue. In fact, i think that, for a variety of reasons, Wallpaper is the better choice. The issue that i am driving at is that there is an ambiguity here in what constitutues wallpaper. To me, it seems like you are equating images with wallpaper. I understand wallpaper to be the sum of two parts. The first part, the image part, lies on top of the second part, the background color part. Together, they constitute the wallpaper. My favorite "wallpaper" consists of a blue background with the gnome-background-image.png over it, for example. If there is a need to label the list, then i think that "Images" or something similar is more appropriate because it deals with only 1/2 of the wallpaper (the way i understand it). Even if you don't agree with any of this, why is "Available Wallpapers" better than just "Wallpapers"?

Sincerely,
John