Re: [Usability] Galeon's Find Feature

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:41:58 -0500
> From: Liam R. E. Quin <liam holoweb net>
> To: byte bytebot net
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Galeon's Find Feature
>
> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 00:58, Colin Charles wrote:
> > When a search is made within the text, the default action of the Enter
> > key is that of the Next button.
>
> And you can't tell when text isn't found, and the d*mn dialogue
> box gets in the way of the text you're searching.

that really is annoying.  smarter programs move the dialog box out of the
way or scroll down enough that the word can be seen instead of the word
being obscured by the dialog.

> I'd still rather have a Find text field in the status bar.

I'd like to be able to drag the dialog over the toolbar and have it 'dock'
and automagically transform into a toolbar/statusbar widget!  (Have cake
and eat it too!)

> > However, to get rid of the search window, instead of a commonly accepted
> > Esc key being hit, a user has to use the Alt+C button.
> Wow, I'd never tried Alt-C for that!!

That is probably because it is the Mnemonic for Close/Cancel I'll bet.
(I hope the button is labelled Close not Cancel, because you dont cancel
a search you finish it).

> > In terms of keyboard usability, maybe we should allow the Esc button to
> > be utilised.
> +1 (i.e. I agree)

If it is a dialog then Esc should dismiss it in the least destructive way
possible.  I expect that is an oversight, they might have bound Esc to
Stop but it should still dismiss dialogs and only cause a Stop when in the
main document window.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/