Re: [Usability] Mac-Finder-like keyboard-navigation: Ctrl="and close the current one"

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 18:58, Kai Willadsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 00:31, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > 2. Use Ctrl -Double-click to open the folder and close the current one at
> > the same time.
> >    (This is not yet implemented in Nautilus. Windows does this too, though
> > it doesn't have spatial folder windows)
>
> How would this be work with single-click operation? Currently,
> Ctrl-click is used to toggle selection and Shift-click extends the
> selection. As far as I can tell, the "and close the current one"
> behaviour just doesn't exist in Windows in single-click mode.

'Open folder in existing window' is a modal setting from Folder options
under Windows.  While I use this setting when I've used Windows, I don't
care for it.  I think the correct behavior is more like the Mac.

I don't think we will find a satisfactory solution with
middle-button, so I propose we explore the right-click.
Ctrl-right-click and Shift-right-click appear to be available.  If
neither are appropriate to the key binding's scheme, would either of the
existing left-click options work with a right click?

I vaguely recall reading in _/The Human Interface/_ how the author
thought the Mac should have had a three button mouse.  The thumb-button
was for selecting and grabbing, the left-button was for activating, and
the right button was for inspecting.  I'd like to move the select
options to another button (but I only have the right).

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.