RE: [Usability] Mac-Finder-like keyboard-navigation: Ctrl="and cl ose the current one"

Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > I don't think many people even know about the metacity keybinding,
> > though those users might be very vocal. I think that the Nautilus
> > feature will be far more useful, and used, by future GNOME
> users, just
> > as it is on the Mac.
>
> Hmm.  I'm not too sure about this.  Just because Windows/Mac
> don't have virtual desktops doesn't mean normal users won't
> use them.  To be honest, when I show that feature to
> Windows/Mac users, they generally go, "Wow!"  Instead of
> hiding a feature other platforms don't have, in this case,
> I'd rather see us *advertising* the feature the other
> platforms don't have.

Workspaces are a great feature. But you don't need this keybinding to use
them.

> > It's not such a great hardship to use the panel workspace
> switcher to
> > switch to another workspace.
>
> It is if you don't/can't use a mouse, yes?

Yes, we need to find some solution for that. Possible solutios, suggested by
Alex, are
- Use Shift-Alt-Arrow to do what Ctrl-Alt-Arrow does now, and let people use
the window's WM menu to do what Shift-Alt-Arrow does:
- Use a *-number keybinding (which some people do already)

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net