Re: [Usability]Test or analysis needed: Automatic completion

Am Die, 2003-04-22 um 02.06 schrieb Gregory Merchan:
> I see automatic completions of command lines and URLs being done three
> different ways in GNOME. Briefly, these are:
>
>  Epiphany-style:
>    [...]
>  Nautilus-style:
>    [...]
>  Bash-style:
>    No completion without pressing Tab. I haven't seen this one in a while
>    (except in bash, of course) so I'm not sure how it's being done in GUI.
There IS an application implementing this behaviour. Just have a look at
recent Galeon versions.
I'm very ambivalent about it.
Experienced and frequent bash users (like me) will LOVE it, but it's
usage has has the following disadvantages:
- Tab should be reserved for widget switching.
- 75% of Galeon's users don't even know that pressing tab triggers
autocompletion. This quote would even be higher on applications used by
unexperienced users.
I think the preferable implementation totally depends on your userbase.

BTW: I prefer Epiphany-style because it offers the ability to display
more than one possible completion at a time while Nautilus-style bugged
me since the first day I used it due to it's limited abilities in this
respect.

regs,
 Chris

--

»Man kann Moral und Ethik nicht mit Technologie regulieren«
  John "Maddog" Hall, Präsident von Linux International