Re: [Usability] Open and Save dialogs

hi all,
I want to address some questions posted about the dialogs.

Why not copy the apple dialogs?. My opinion is that gnome itself has a
lot to offer. The main design goal of my dialog was to make the gnome
desktop look and feel more consistent.

As gnome uses nautilus uses as its file manager/viewer it is important
to integrate its look in the open and file dialogs as they are more or
less dependent or related to each other. Making one view on the
file-system, the one that Nautilus gives you, look totally different
than that of the file dialogs is inconsistent and maybe confusing. As I
thing nautilus looks pretty good it is also a missed opportunity.

Nautilus has a few extra features that could be useful to the
user(emblems, previews, vfs). Not integrating those is also a missed
opportunity as it could make the life of a user easier, and that should
be the whole point.

A lot of the design of the dialogs is actually based on the apple
dialogs. After introducing nautilus and its features, and what I think
is useful for the current and future users.

I personally don't like to hide the file-system from the user to much
because it is important for the user to structure their work easily.
Hiding it could cause people to just save everything in Documents root
--> messy. To make it look simpler I used the drop-down box with useful
directory presets to hide the part of the file-system that is not useful
and could complicate things. The whole file-system is still accessible
by checking advanced option

As for the .gnome-desktop dir. I would also like to see it a normal
directory. There is nothing really special that makes it useful to hide
it, so please don't :).

New folder in drop-down box, yes it should be like that.

Advanced options box, changed it to something more descriptive in the
new design

As for favorites/bookmarks..... hmmm. Damn I'm just not done yet.

And for the code look in the download section, should not be to
difficult http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/

Greetz, MM