Re: [Usability]recent documents in panel

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 07:41, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 19:35, Adam D. Lopresto wrote:
>
> > I really like the idea, but I'm worried that the wording is a bit confusing.
> > The difference between "Open Recent" and "Launch Recent" doesn't seem
> > sufficiently clear.  Personally, I'd much prefer "Recent Documents" and
> > "Recent Applications", but I understand that that violates the HIG's imperative
> > verb style.  Maybe something like "Re-run Application" and "Re-open Document".
>
> If we did decide to put them both on the same menu, why not just "Open
> Recent" and "Run Recent"?

The distinction between 'open' and 'run' is... very, very weak.
Certainly, it's not one my mother would understand. 'file' and
'application' is a /slightly/ better one, but...

> Personally though, having looked at the screenshots, I think if we keep
> the 'recent apps' list down to 5 or so we should think about putting it
> straight into the top level of the Applications menu, probably at or
> near the bottom.  I'm really not convinced that you'd find an
> application any quicker on a "Run Recent" submenu than you would just
> going to Graphics->GIMP or whatever, but if it was right there when you
> opened the menu I could see the benefit.

Probably not unreasonable, though it still doesn't deal with the file
issue, does it?

>  (This is how Windoze XP does
> it as well, although I think its 2-column Start menu is kind of ugly).

By 'ugly' you mean 'hideous and unintuitive', right? Tell us how you
really feel, Calum. Let it all out ;)

Luis