Re: [Usability]Looking for UI ideas for a gnome IDE

Hi Duncan, I'll read your message more closely in a minute... But as a
first suggestion, you should consider integrating with an existing IDE.
The stronger we can build the core tools, the better off everyone is
(including you :-). It would also save you a lot of time re-developing
things that already exist in that IDE. I would suggest looking into
extending either Anjuta (http://anjuta.sf.net) or Eclipse
(http://www.eclipse.org).

I don't really know much about Anjuta, but Eclipse is built around a
plugin infrastructure that makes an enormous amount of extension
possible, but also allows you to leverage common framework built for
things like debugging, syntax highlighting, searching, building ... even
a TODO list! The Java dev tools that currently come with Eclipse are
primarily intended to demonstrate the platform-at-work and are written
entirely as plugins themselves. It should be basically possible to do
almost any language you want with Eclipse (which is what it was designed
for, since companies and others take it and make their own custom
products out of it).

cheers,

-Seth