[Usability]Re: Improving the metacity minimise animation

Joe Shaw <joe ximian com> writes:
> On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 14:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > Those all sound good. Need to fetch the E source code and have a look.
> > I'd take patches to try any of these things.
>
> Also take a look at Windowmaker.  Jacob implemented a little launch
> feedback animation like in MacOS X, and used the code from WindowMaker
> because it's *much* faster than Metacity's, especially on slow X servers
> like XDarwin in rootless mode.
>
> I think he posted it to this list, too, you'd have to check the
> archives.

Metacity used to have the "grab server and do XOR" type of animation,
and it was changed to the current one because grabbing the server
produces temporary artifacts due to apps not handling expose events.

The code to use XOR is still in metacity/src/effects.c if you want to
try it.

A shaped window as used now is clearly slower, but no server grab.

However, if we do the animation and only then hide the window, we may
not notice the expose event problem so much. Right now it hides the
window first, so generates exposes during the server grab.

Havoc