[Usability]Re: folder vs. directory

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 13:15, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Hi there!
> Maybe some of you asked themselves the same question:
> Why do we use folder instead of directory in applications like Nautilus?
> I assume that this was introduced to make it easier for people who used
> to run Windows on their computer. I think it's totally inconsistent to
> make a difference between graphical and console applications in
> terminology.

Because the purpose of the graphical interface is to abstract away the
underlying complexity, and the graphical interface has long used the
folder metaphor:

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/apas05.html

"directory

    Definition:

 A special type of file that enables you to organize other files into a
 hierarchical structure. Only use the term directory when you make
 specific references to the structure of the file system."

"folder

    Definition:

 A representation of a directory in a graphical program. Use the term
 folder when you document programs that use folder icons to represent
 directories."

Cheers,
John

(adding gnome-doc-list to the cc's)
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead