Re: [Usability]Middle mouse button in galeon

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 15:08, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2002, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> > I think in many cases the drop sensitive area is also around the drag
> > starting point.  I'm not sure though, it's just a fuzzy feeling.
>
> We'd probably need a user test to know this for sure, but the drag actions
> I do myself are usually to another Nautilus window or to the trashcan,
> which usually aren't near the starting point.

But that's besides the point.  You know what a drag does, and you know
where you want to drag stuff.  That doesn't make the area around the
starting point any less sensitive for the drop action.  You just never
accidentally drop there because you know to expect the the drag.

> If you, experienced galeon user, manage to perform gestures wrong
> occasionally, how do you think the ratio of "well-performed" gestures
> would be for casual users?

That's a different problem.  The original one was about the possibility
of making destructive gestures by accident.  This one is about
intentionally making a (destructive) gesture, but failing.

> If that were true, you'd still have visual feedback when accidentally
> hitting Alt-F C, giving the user a clue to what might have happened.
> Gestures give no cue at all, apart from the cursor shape, but this in
> itself is not enough to know what's going on.

True.  But hey, we could always use something like Clippy..  /me hides

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 tommi komulainen iki fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6