Re: [Usability]gnome-file-dialog UI update

> opening a file in gedit, why does it show me files that it doesn't know
> how to open? When would i want to open a gif file with gedit?

Because there is no requirement for a file name to have an extention,
let alone a meaningful extention; similarily, magic numbers can not be
reliably used. Current methods of mime detection are not reliable.
Besides, why shouldn't someone be able to open a gif in gedit?

An option saying, "show only files with mime types that I know how to
open" would be fine, as long as it also displayed files of indeterminite
type. There should always be a method of listing ALL files, however.

Mat.