Re: [Usability]Dialogs with multi-line textboxes

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 23:03, Christian Tellefsen wrote:

> >From HIG:
> "Your dialog may specify a default button, that is activated when the
> user presses the Return key."
>
> Now, what if you're stuck in a multi-line textbox. Enter does obviously
> not work. What solution is preferred? How much is [ctrl]+[enter] in use?
> [Alt]+O? Both?

Uh oh, I feel a horrible flashback coming on ;)

The short answer to your question is that, right now, there is no
(toolkit-provided) way to activate the default button if the focused
control uses Enter.  You have to use that button's access key instead.

Ctrl+Enter is one possibility, and probably the one that's most
consistent with the way default buttons work right now.  However, if you
check the archives, you'll realise that people don't necessarily like
the way default buttons work right now...

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2001-May/msg00042.html

Cheeri,
Calum.