Re: [Usability]Re: [Galeon-devel] Galeon feature implementation

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 03:41, Joshua Adam Ginsberg wrote:

> > > I think that the best place for those items is the Settings menu,
> > > because it is the most obvious choice... but I agree with you.
> >
> > Well, I personally have no problems with a Settings menu, but as I said,
> > if the usabiity folks can suggest more optimal locations for these
> > items, I'll be happy to go with them.
> I would sincerely question how often a user wishes to change many of the
> items in the Settings menu on a consistent basis. Better yet, on a
> site-by-site basis. Are the majority of users going to disable Java or
> JavaScript for a single site, or are they going to disable them in
> general? Are they going to change the behavior of animated images for a
> single site, or are they going to have a setting for in general? The
> same for popups, proxies, loading images, etc. My guess is that the
> majority of users would not consistently change the settings, and thus
> access directly to them through a Settings menu are not necessary to
> satisfy the small minority who I would expect do. Further evidence that
> probably this appeals only to a minority is its lack in MSIE, Konq, and
> Mozilla (I don't have Opera; I can't check). So I would suggest that
> these menu items are not necessary to have such easy access to and the
> the Preferences menu where the remainder of preferences reside can be
> moved to the Edit menu in accordance with the HIG.

I'd like to speak up in defense for the functionality of the 'Settings'
menu. One of the main things that got me hooked (and - anecdotal
evidence - one of the things that seems to have hooked other users as
well) is the ability to have for example JavaScript turned off, except
for that one site (banking or whatever) that really and legitimately
needs it. Same with Java, animated images and proxy (like in adbuster
filtering) settings. The font setting makes sense for anyone with a need
for an extra large font - where there are sites that will be just
unreadable if they don't get their own fonts. Use own colors goes the
other way - usually the site's color is fine, but now and again someone
with a certain lack of design sense chooses a color combination that is
hard to read and quickly defaulting to good base choices for that site
only makes sense. I'd like to see its functionality extended to plugins
as well (you may need Flash on a few sites, but disable it normally to
avoid hugely irritating advertisement).

Now, this item has been discussed before, and I think most agree that
having it as a separate menu may not be the best placement for it. I
like the idea of having it as a toolbar pop-down; it does fit better as
a tool than as a menu, and it can default to not being present, with the
easy ability to add it to the toolbar for those users who wish to use
it.

A possible alternative is to have those options as a part of the
preferences - but remember those settings on a per-site basis. You'd
need to go to the preferences to set it, but once you've done so for a
given site, it is set and need not be touched again. It seems this is
already being done for the zoom toolbar item (which, if this ends up in
the toolbar, could be placed there as well). My fondest wish is for both
of these solutions: have it as a toolbar pop-down, and remember any
settings that differ from the defaults.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel.    +46-046 222 8588             Dr. Janne Morén
Home:   +46-046 211 4973             Dept. of Cognitive Science
Fax:    +46-046 222 9758             Kungshuset, Lund
                                     S-222 22 Lund, Sweden