Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: [Usability]Galeon feature implementation

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:37:30PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

> > > BAD. Is galeon all of a sudden the session manager too? Sessions are per
> > > login to a gnome session, not per instance of galeon in memory. When a
> > > user logs in their session begin and when they log out it ends. Sessions
> > > are not per app.
> >
> > Well, i suppose you never close galeon during your gnome session (either
> > for freing memory, workspace or whatever), not to acount the times when
> > galeon crashes, but the session management for this is really already
> > there.
>
> Galeon1 already detects if it crashed/was killed the last time it ran,
> and asks the user if he or she wants to resume the previous session or
> start a new one. I don't see how that feature is affected by the option
> to save the session when exiting Galeon.

Yes, and i suppose it works even with galeon2. That is what i tried to
say, sorry for bad english wording of my thoughts.

> > Also, imagine someone who never exits from his gnome session, but does
> > ocassionally exit galeon.
>
> This could as easily be solved by saving bookmark groups. When you want
> to have your "job browser", you open that bookmark group. Galeon should
> always save the current session when exiting -- if you want to have
> different sessions that you can switch between, you save them as
> bookmark groups and open them as bookmark groups.

Yes, that would be acceptable.

> But having two "quit" options is just silly. I've witnessed several
> users that don't understand the difference, and they shouldn't have to
> if they don't need that feature.

BTW, i understand that having quit and quit with saving may sound silly,
but the orginal post was that sessions belong in gnome, and not in
galeon, which is just as silly. And i am speaking about the
functionality here, not the naming or the actual implementation.

A save current session as bookmark folders or something such would be
fine, with maybe the added functionality of saving the history as well
(i don't believe bookmarks can handle that though, nor should they).

Friendly,

Sven Luther