Re: [Usability]HIG proposal - "(Modified)"

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 14:06, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 13:48, Dave Malcolm wrote:
>
> > This feels to me like a Good Thing To Do; the user gets an extra visual cue
> > about the state of the app, and reassurance that they're going to get a "Save
> > Confirmation Alert" if they close it.
>
> Funnily enough, I was just thinking about this very thing when I was
> using gedit yesterday, and realising that I was glad that it did it but
> wished it did it differently :)  This would certainly be great to add to
> the HIG, any suggestions as to what method we should choose?
>
> My personal choice would be something short at the beginning of the
> window title (traditionally an asterisk has been used for this) since it
> means there's no chance of missing the indicator if the window isn't
> very wide.  But unless you know what this means, you might be
> mystified.

Another reason to have a short indicator in the beginning would be that
it's be visible in the window list on the panel. That said, an asterisk
or something would be pretty mystifying for most users; a "(modified)"
is really a lot clearer.

As for a working 'Save' icon in the title bar - if that's not a crack
feature I don't know what is. :)

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel.    +46-046 222 8588             Dr. Janne Morén
Home:   +46-046 211 4973             Dept. of Cognitive Science
Fax:    +46-046 222 9758             Kungshuset, Lund
                                     S-222 22 Lund, Sweden