Re: [Usability]close vs quit

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 01:37:42AM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> ons 2002-05-29 klockan 00.23 skrev Gregory Merchan:
> > >
> > > I'm curious, If neither Exit nor Quit meny entries should exist, how are
> > > applications then supposed to be exited from the application's menus?
> >
> > This topic has been visited many times on this list, probably on others,
> > and on IRC.
>
> Yes. I do remember certain heated opinions, but little of what was
> actually based on usability.
>
> > Do I really need to explain it again?
>
> Since you brought it up again, I think yes.
>
> If I remember correctly, there wasn't any agreement that all ways of
> exiting an application from it's menus should be removed, so I'm
> wondering what the reasons are for discussing the removal of these
> recommendations in the HIG.
>

> Christian

Removing File->Quit and File->Close from the HIG isn't being discussed at all.
Even if it were, my opinion wouldn't matter. I don't work on the HIG or
the GUP anymore. I occassionally reply or post as an interested user and
as a courtesy because I wrote the section of the HIG in question which has
received few if any updates.

That said, I have no interest in going over this again.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan