[Usability]close vs quit

I have to dig out my old CUA docs, but I remember that the proper keybindings are
Ctl-F4    close window
Alt-F4    quit

Unfortunately, these are not the bindings that Gnome has chosen.
I recall these bindings in the CUA compliant OS/2, Motif & MS Windows.

Is it too late to correct this?

It is reasonable to provide synonyms, where possible, for these bindings, such as C-w & C-q in the Mac style, just as Microsoft provides C-c, C-v & C-x as synonyms for the CUA
standards C-insert, Sh-insert & Sh-delete

--
NY Harbor 2001-9-11 facts & photos  http://www.panix.com/~bingalls/