Re: [Usability]application crititque

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 10:34, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> okay, I didn't go through all of them but here are some random comments:
>
> creation_options_lvm2.jpg:
>
> - 'Page 1' and 'Page 2' is non-descriptive. Tell the user what he can find
> on the tab.

You're correct. The notebook is created dynamically after getting option
descriptors from the plug-in for configuration choices before completing
the operation. Page 1, etc. are the default labels.

The fields are placed in pages sequentially and new pages are appended
as more fields show up. I wasn't sure what to title the tabs due to this
simplistic approach to populating the notebook. Ideas?

> - for the two yes/no options, a checkbox is better suited I think;

Originally, they were checkboxes but under some GTK themes it was
sometimes difficult to distinguish whether the field was checked or not
if the widget was made insensitive. Some of our users thought it stood
out better to see two radio buttons with Yes and No labels.

> - I don't see a (*) anywhere, so why say '(*) Indicates field is
> required'? Also, since this is a GUI, why not use color coding as well for
> required fields?

The * precedes the field title. The screenshot shows two fields with it.
Color would be good but aren't there accessibility issues with using
certain colors? In other words, is red appropriate for color-blind
folks?

> - Does the checkbox 'Display all options' have an immedeate effect on the
> UI? If so, use an 'Advanced' button instead.[1]

Yes, it does have an immediate effect. Not sure what the suggestion of
an 'Advanced" button is supposed to do. Possibly, the checkbox label
should be renamed to say "Display active options only" and be checked.
Displaying "All options" allows seeing all possible options for the
operation including ones that the plug-in is not accepting at the moment
(inactive).

> volume_view_lvm.jpg:
>
> - Reconsider if a toolbar is required here (only three buttons, of which
> the 'Exit' button shouldn't be there. See also
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/toolbars.html#AEN1204

This was added due to user feedback. They like being able to click on
"Commit" periodically.

> - 'The operation completed successfully'. Which operation?

I agree, that needs more clarification. On my to-do.

> snap_details.jpg:
>
> - Since there is only one page, the 'Page 1' tab is completely
> unnecessary and can only lead to confusion.

This was part of the same generic code to populate the option descriptor
widgets in a notebook. I've made a check to see if only one page was
produced to then hide the notebook tab.

Thank you for your valued comments Mr. van Schouwen.

--
regards,

Luciano Chavez

lnx1138 us ibm com