Re: [Usability]From application- to user-centric configuration

lukekendall optushome com au writes:
> On  9 Mar, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >  However gconf can easily use a more common solution as backend, if the
> >  more common solution would need to support dynamic change notification
> >  so can't be just plain text files.
>
> Why can't dynamic change notification coexist with plain text files for
> holding configuration?

Plain text files can be used to store data, but they can't be the
entire common solution. i.e. not _just_ plain text files.

Look at how gconf works, if you can come up with a better way to make
it work, please send me email. (I _can_ come up with a better way, but
it still doesn't involve _only_ text files.)

Also you really want to be able to plug network backends, so you want
more abstraction than direct file access.

Havoc