[Usability]Usability issue:'Too much icons displayed for mounted drives'

Hi, I have found a 'problem' while using Gnome. It seems that when it
starts up, it creates an icon for each mounted drive, but when I have
mounted 12-13 paths (SMB,vfat etc) I get a desktop full of icons.
Altough I have done an temporary workaround by executing a shell script
which deletes all the files from the desktop folder, but isn't there or
couldn't  be done a more decent way :) ?

Cheers!

Best regards,
Cristian Romanescu
phone: +4095133096