Re: [Usability]Controls, widgets, and UI learning.

--- Sunnanvind Fenderson <sunnanvind fenderson com>
wrote:
> James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42 yahoo com> writes:
> > However, at least in the context of
> > theming, we may want to retain the jargon
> "widget." It
> > is a more precise term than "controls," and
> > theming-related web sites, forums, etc., will
> probably
> > find the term useful.
>
> Most of these sites talk about "toolkit themes", not
> "widget themes",
> but it would be very weird for them to start talking
> about "control
> themes".

That was about what I was thinking. "Control themes"
would probably never catch on.

> > I'd suggest using "widget" in the context of
> theming,
> > while using "controls" in GUI documentation and in
> > some business contexts where a coined term like
> > "widget" would be considered too informal.
>
> "Consistency? What's that?"
>
> I like the word widget but if it's used, it has to
> replace "controls"
> in the doc, in business contexts and well,
> everywhere.

Fair point. If "widget" is used in the GUI itself, it
should be used in GUI documentation exposed to the
user.

Still, I have a tough time imagining a Sun executive
using the term "widget" in public. OpenOffice.org
can't even bring itself to use the term "bug" instead
of "issue." Take Issuezilla--please. :)

Anyway, I suppose that GNOME proper itself should use
widget consistently if it's to use it at all. PHBs
will do what they will.