Re: [Usability]Controls, widgets, and UI learning.

James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42 yahoo com> writes:
> Of course, with the widget preview as context, we
> could get away with using the term "controls" in place
> of "widgets." However, at least in the context of
> theming, we may want to retain the jargon "widget." It
> is a more precise term than "controls," and
> theming-related web sites, forums, etc., will probably
> find the term useful.

Most of these sites talk about "toolkit themes", not "widget themes",
but it would be very weird for them to start talking about "control
themes". Maybe they could get away with "gnome themes".

> I'd suggest using "widget" in the context of theming,
> while using "controls" in GUI documentation and in
> some business contexts where a coined term like
> "widget" would be considered too informal.

"Consistency? What's that?"

I like the word widget but if it's used, it has to replace "controls"
in the doc, in business contexts and well, everywhere.

I don't think of it as a coined term, any more than controls is a
coined term... and businesses need to speak the same language as the rest of
the world, in my opinion.