Re: [Usability]widget style vs window decoration, (was "cheat to window-manager integration")

--- Daniel Borgmann <daniel liebesgedichte net> wrote:

> "Controls" really
> isn't more ambiguous than "Widgets". The difference
> is, that "Controls"
> is a word well known. If we use it as a simple
> title, like "Controls" it
> should be _very_ clear that it is meant as a noun
> and wouldn't be
> confused with the other meanings

If the menu item is entitled "Controls," then that
solves the problem of whether "controls" is a noun or
a verb, but doesn't give a clue as to what the menu
item does. "Controls" could refer to the appearance of
the controls, or to details of how the controls work,
such as whether menus or toolbars are detachable.

> (Control Center,
> Volume control, etc).
> AFAIK the word "controls" isn't used for anything
> else at our desktop so
> it seems to make sense as an addition to pointer,
> icons, windows, etc.

The question, though, isn't whether "controls" is used
anywhere else in the GUI, but whether "controls"
conveys the meaning that we want to convey.