Re: [Usability]A "cheat" to full window manager integration

--- Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:

> James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42 yahoo com> writes:
> > 1) Make Metacity the default window manager. Drop
> > Sawfish and its dialogs from the default GNOME2
> setup,
> > including the Desktop Preferences->Advanced menu.
>
> No need to do that in order to solve this, the
> control center already
> has WM-virtualizing behavior.

I know GConf allows window managers to hook into it to
use generic config dialogs like the "Keyboard
Shortcuts" capplet and the Pager preferences dialog,
rather than dialogs meant only for the window manager
alone. Is there any other WM-virtualizing behavior
besides this?

> > 2) Add an entry to the Desktop Preferences menu
> called
> > "Window Frame Style". Clicking on this menu should
> > launch a capplet for changing the Metacity theme.
>
> Can just stick this in the regular theme capplet.

Would that be quicker than someone chopping up
Metacity-Setup? (I suspect the answer is yes.)

> > A) The presence of the term "widget".
>
> "Application theme" or something works

Good thought.

> > C) It doesn't solve the problem of the current
> > font-changing dialog (at the Desktop
> Preferences->Font
> > menu entry) not being the place where titlebar
> fonts
> > are changed. This could be fixed at a later date,
> > though.
>
> Just add an option menu to the font dialog, no big
> deal.

That's what I meant by fixing at a later date.