Re: [Usability]file menu

> On 11 Jul 2002, Sunnanvind Fenderson wrote:
> > Nautilus too, if a file is actually selected, but opening files isn't
> > that menu's most common task in neither of the apps.
>
> Probably not, but moving menu entries from one menu to another is a big
> no-no I think.

Huh? Are we experiencing a misunderstanding? What do you mean?

> Browsers are not *that* different from your usual
> document-centric application or viewer.

They *are* a document-centric application or viewer. So drop Galeon from
the list of programs I mentioned, then. The specific programs mentioned
was hardly the point, anyway.

> > But having a "File" menu on the terminal window does make sense to
> you?
>
> I didn't say that. :)

No, but you did say:

> > > "File" is pretty commonplace and over time it has come to be less
> about
> > > file manipulation but rather certain basic actions that people
> expect to
> > > be there from other environments.

If that's true, then what's with the "game" menu?

(Microsoft's "Solitaire" does have the "game" menu as well.)

My point is that quirks and untruths in menu titles is a bad thing.

Operations like "new window" should be in a meny about windows; after the
operations there could be a separator followed by the list of open
windows, if the program is one that has such a list. Didn't Calum say
something about doing away with MDI?

In programs like Emacs or AbiWord it makes sense to have a file menu: a
menu for opening files, and recent files, and saving, and stuff like
that. In Nautilus it looks slightly awkward, and in Terminal it looks
very awkward (and there are already bugs open about that). In Galeon it
doesn't look exactly un-awkward, but I could be convinced that it be kept
there.

That's all I was saying.