Re: [Usability]The messy world of applications files

snickell stanford edu wrote:

I agree with this, we need to make the distinction between preferences
and personal data clear, and particularly for personal data it needs to
be easy to find for backup purposes (and preferably standardized).
Having visible folders per-application-with-user-data in the home
directory seems like a bad idea,

It is bad, but it is done today with various apps using various <dot> directories.

but having a single folder that all
GNOME applications use might be workable.

Just be open to non-gnome applications too.

This does entail a
responsibility on developer's part to only put sensible
user-understandable files in that directory. Cryptic short names and the
like are right out ;-)

Actually, I don't care what the name is, so long as I have an easy way to distinguish between personal data and configs.

I think we need to make backup/copying of preferences easy to access as
well, though how to do this is less clear now that the GConf XML
infrastructure is already setup in a manner that obscures this. Perhaps
some sort of GnomeVFS URI could be setup (and "mounted" in somewhere
non-obscure in the home directory) that encapsulates the information in
each directory as a file that can be copied in and out. The idea is not
to provide per-key granularity, but so you could take all the
preferences for an app and copy them in and out. Maybe we could just
display the keys contained in each schemas file or something (so you
could save and restore keys as a package containing all the keys defined
in a particular schemas file).

Was the intent of gconf to also be used for address books, mail archives and such? Or was it just for application preferences?