Re: [Usability]The messy world of applications files

Sunnanvind Fenderson wrote:

Gnome's futuresque solution to this issue is called "gconf", an xml
database stored in ~/.gconf/ .

Except that this doesn't seem to address the issue of config vs personal data. (e.g. mouse preferences/menus vs contact list/mail archive).

Also, it isn't likely at all that all applications writers will rush to use this.

What I'm talking about is asking apps writers to seperate config vs personal data, and make it obvious for the user how to backup things.

...But I'll have to read more about gconf.