Re: [Usability]Re: Nautilus bugs and design choices

ons 2002-07-10 klockan 14.09 skrev Sunnanvind Fenderson:

> > > Numerous times, with the same script, on each of these lists. Perhaps this
> > > is a rehashing you could take off-list?
> >
> > Or just cite links to other people's messages in the list archives
> > instead of restating their arguments? :)
>
> Yes, please post some links (or I guess I could be bothered to search
> the archives), since I'm new and I do think this is an important
> question. Has there been any consensus?

No. Or that depends on what you mean by consensus. There are very few in
my experience that think that it makes sense to be purposely different
than other environments if there are no other benefits with the choices
at hand. Likewise, there are very few that claim that we should do
everything like Windows and imitate both good and bad design.

So in that way there's a consensus. But each issue and design decision
is different, you have to look at the merits of each individual choice.
That's what we try to do, and usually on this list.
Having broad and generic discussions on "should we or should we not be
like the XYZ environment in every sense" usually just turn into
counterproductive flamefests with absolutely no practical value at all.
Everybody knows or should know that.

[...]
> There are more people on this planet who've never used windows than
> there are people who have.
>
> And for people switching from windows... well, there's a sentence I'm
> afraid to hear:
>
> "This system is exactly as windows, and you told me it would be
> better. What was the deal with that?"
>
> I'm all for using keybindings inspired by windows, like alt-tab, for
> example, but that doesn't mean that we should include the *bad* things
> from windows. Gnome could be "windows but fixed".

And who is saying that Gnome is doing that? I think GNOME 2.0 is an
excellent proof of the opposite -- it incorporates many of the best
ideas from both the Macintosh, Windows, OS/2 and loads of other
environments.

Christian