Re: [Usability]Re: Nautilus bugs and design choices

David Moles <david moles vykor com> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 14:07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Reinout van Schouwen">
> >
> > > This debate has been done before.
> >
> > Numerous times, with the same script, on each of these lists. Perhaps this
> > is a rehashing you could take off-list?
>
> Or just cite links to other people's messages in the list archives
> instead of restating their arguments? :)

Yes, please post some links (or I guess I could be bothered to search
the archives), since I'm new and I do think this is an important
question. Has there been any consensus?

In my experience, people who work with a really nice UI get frustrated
when someone wants them to use MS Windows. Gnome should aspire to be
such a nice UI.

There are more people on this planet who've never used windows than
there are people who have.

And for people switching from windows... well, there's a sentence I'm
afraid to hear:

"This system is exactly as windows, and you told me it would be
better. What was the deal with that?"

I'm all for using keybindings inspired by windows, like alt-tab, for
example, but that doesn't mean that we should include the *bad* things
from windows. Gnome could be "windows but fixed".

Sunnan

 --
Heh... I reconfigured Ion to use windows-inspired
keybindings. Weird experience. (And I configured it to allow