Re: [Usability]one-persion usability study

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 09:08, Calum Benson wrote:

> > Something different - this is an old, often nagged about item - I like
> > to have the menubar at the top of the screen, even for the apps, like
> > that old PARC wimp gui, and like Mac OS. It could be argued about
> > whether this should be the default or not, but since we're already
> > *having* some kind of menubar at the top of the screen, I think we
> > might as well go full mac OS style.
>
> One of the main objections to this has traditionally been that it
> doesn't work very well for users who prefer to use focus-follows-mouse.
> Various timing hacks have been tried to get around this, but I guess
> none of them have been well-enough received to make it into the GNOME
> mainstream.  (It's also really unpleasant if you're running across more
> than one display, unless you replicate the menu structure on each one.)

Has anyone ever come up with a way to make this work as an option?
Sure, it wouldn't work well with FFM, but ex-Mac people that would
like to use it probably wouldn't mind using click-to-focus.

As for the multiple displays issue -- from my Mac experience, I
think it's less of an issue than one would think. In Photoshop, for
instance, you'd usually have your menu bar and your main working
window on your primary display and have various palettes and
secondary windows on the secondary displays; it's not often that
you'd really want to go directly from one of the secondary windows
to the menu bar.

Of course, the Mac also has always had a really nice interface for
configuring and arranging multiple displays....