Re: [Usability] Re: Decision: instant apply window buttons

[dropping a bunch of CC line]

Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> writes:
> Ever since GNOME development began, I have urged people to aim
> to make it as good as the Macintosh.  To try to be like Windows
> is to try for second-best.

You are defining "best" in a vacuum that doesn't include "users have
already learned Windows, and go back and forth between free systems
and Windows throughout their day."

I'm defining "best" as "what causes users to actually switch over to
our software and subjectively report that they enjoy using it."
Because that's the definition of "best" that will result in more users
using free GUI software.

I don't claim to understand everything that goes in to my "best" - but
I do think we have a certain amount of data available, if you listen
to articles, posts, comments, bug reports, etc.

But anyway, I didn't say try to be a Windows emulator, I said make
Windows users feel comfortable when we can, and make improvements when
we really have substantive improvements.

Havoc