Re: [Usability] Re: Decision: instant apply window buttons

Gregory Merchan <merchan baton phys lsu edu> writes:
> These are (3), which are not dialogs. They might be left open for any length
> of time.

The point about "are they dialogs" is "should the WM treat them like
dialogs or like main application/document windows"

For most window managers right now, this just means "should there be
maximize/minimize buttons"

If you want to treat them like a palette window (type UTILITY in the
WM spec, based on the MacOS name for these) then I think most WMs will
get the decorations a bit wrong - like the PhotoShop toolbox
decorations, with the "small titlebar"

If you don't want to look the same as a dialog or a main app window or
a toolbox, then you need a new window type in the WM spec. But I sort
of like the Mac's approach of having only 4 window types, and think
our current 7 or so is already kind of suspect, so I am inclined to
tell the window manager these things are dialogs.

If you look at the windows URL:
 http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwue/html/ch09c.asp

that window is plainly just like a dialog in all window management
respects (and also in the having-buttons-at-the-bottom respect and
almost certainly the which-keybindings-close-it respect).

Havoc