Re: [Usability] Close buttons on instant-apply dialogs

Hi Peter,

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 00:56, Peter Korn wrote:
> Options of what though?  Window manager options?  Application options?

	The lot - I think that some features are designed to take advantage of
a sighted person - eg. toolbar buttons; whereas perhaps a blind person
is hindered by them - conversely, presumably the ergonomics of a
document scroll pane are somewhat unnecessary for a visually impaired
person, whereas it's vital for a sighted person; etc. So I think it's
likely that we need to be able to have a set of known good options
across the system that we can switch in when one presses a button for
accessibility. But clearly this is for the future.

> When we get to things like tearoffs, we get into murky water on the
> "dead-simple easy" part of the tension above.

	Mercifully there is a single GConf boolean that we can flick to stop
getting tearoffs in any Gnome application - and this is quite a common
configuration to run in. Just a simple example of an option we could
switch easily to make things in some way more accessible.

> ... or that functionality is duplicated in accessible ways,

	True - it's usually just a convenience I think for commonly used menus;
tearoffs are never necessary AFAIK, so we can quite safely disable them
without loosing any (useful) functionality, and many people run that way
currently. [ they're somewhat of a gimmick IMHO ].

	But I concur that we need to make sure that every feature is exposed
easily to the impaired.

	Regards,

		Michael.