Re: [Usability] Instant Apply Windows

Gregory Merchan wrote:

> Two examples of where the decision to include close buttons takes us:
> (Both were made using Glade 0.6.2)
>
>   http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/glade-properties-dialog.png
>
>   http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/gedit-toolbar.png

All the more reason to distinguish between instant-apply "dialogs" and
"utility windows", then :o)

Here are another couple of pro-Close button arguments I picked up from a
discussion about this with some other HCI guys in Sun, BTW:

- The visual cue the user has that this is an instant-apply window is
that there is a Close button rather than an OK and Cancel button.
Simply having no buttons is a horrible indication since you need to
notice the lack of something rather than noticing a strong visual cue.

- I don't buy the argument that this is a palette or utility window.
Those windows are up for extended periods.  This window would only be up
by geeks who spend more time configuring their system than doing real
work.  :-)  (Note: don't worry, that *was* her smiley, not mine!)

Cheeri,
Calum.