[Usability] Instant-apply mockups for analysis [Was: Familiarity, Accessibility...]

<quote who="Liam Quin">

> <sarcasm>
> Of course.  Free Software projects should never try to innovate.
> </sarcasm>

> If you don't like instant-apply dialogue boxes, suggest a practical
> alternative.  It's true that some UI controls (text and numeric entry
> widgets and combo boxes, for example) were not designed to be used in that
> way, and canbe difficult in some toolkits (e.g. if changes happen after
> each digit as you type).  A slider can be more appropriate in that
> circumstance.

Indeed. To keep up this practical tangent, I suggest we all take a dialogue,
instant-applyise it, and bring it back to the lists for discussion and
analysis.

Looking at real, existing systems, and seeing how they translate will
greatly assist our ability to find some kind of compromise or alternative.

Two examples that have come up already, Jimbob's proxy settings:

  http://jimbob.myip.org/sshots/2002_01_03_110121_shot.jpg (recent shot)

My (much further away from reality) background settings concept shot:

  http://perkypants.org/screenshots/g2-bg-concept.jpg

I'm looking for one to try out now, I hope others will do the same.

- Jeff

--
                          Money can't buy me grok.