Re: [Usability] Instant Apply Windows

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:47:59PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the interests of fostering some more direct discussion on the topic, here
> is what I consider to be a reasonable compromise. Please follow up with
> arguments as to why *this particular idea* may be suboptimal, inaccessible,
> unusable, etc.
>
> [ I don't think it's necessarily perfect, I'd just prefer to see discussion
> on concrete ideas rather than random musings and flame. ]
>
>   +---------------------------------------+
>   | My Crackrock Settings             _ X |
>   +---------------------------------------+
>   |                                       |
>   |   [ ] Goat-inspired                   |
>   |   [ ] Monkey-inspired                 |
>   |   [ ] Pants-inspired                  |
>   |   [ ] HP-inspired                     |
>   |                                       |
>   |   [ Help ]                 [ Done ]   |
>   |                                       |
>   +---------------------------------------+
>
> Things to note: available WM buttons, help and done (same style as
> dialogues).

This is not a compromise. This is what those of us who have looked into
common practice and have observed users in action are against.

A button labelled "Done" is still a Close button because that is the command
it issues.

  (Unless, of course, a Done button is supposed to mean,
   "Now accept my changes."; in which case this is not an
   instant-apply window, but instead a rather bizarre
   dialog in that it has not Ok and Cancel buttons.)

> - Jeff
>
> --
>                 W.O.R.K: Weekend Over, Resume the Killings.

Gregory Merchan