Re: [Usability] Close buttons on instant-apply dialogs

On 30 Dec 2001, Christian Rose wrote:

> This has been discussed many times before. The window manager doesn't
> have to provide a close button; it doesn't have to provide any buttons
> at all. Even if it has one it doesn't have to be easily recognizable as

But it does have to provide a way to close a window; and if the user
wishes to install such a wm then it's up to him. GNOME doesn't have to
accomodate each and every weird wm in existence. BTW, do you know the
windows utility WindowBlinds? It's a very popular piece of software that
lets you theme winXX titlebars and such. Some users like to use themes and
some are scared to change anything; those who like to change themes won't
have difficulty finding back the titlebar close button. (unsubstantiated
claim, I know, but people who like to tweak things usually aren't afraid
of poking around until they have the behaviour they want.)

> Note that I'm not saying that title bar buttons aren't useful (they
> certainly are), I'm just saying that some users simply don't use them,
> and are not used to use them, even if they know that they exist, and are
> usually terribly confused by any special dialogs that don't leave them
> any "obvious" way to close them. I've witnessed that many times during
> computer classes.

Do you use StarOffice? If you do, you'll know the Style and Navigator
utility windows. Are you saying those should have an extra Close button
next to the titlebar one?

> Now you're exaggerating. It doesn't slow down the interface for "every
> other user". On the contrary it gives a lot of users a familiar way to
> close the dialog, because they are looking for dialog buttons.

"familiar". Gregory has already shown that people with a Mac or CUA
background probably aren't familiar with such a button. It is impossible
for total beginners to be familiar with everything. This comes down to
trying to make GNOME consistent with Windows' inconsistencies, which is
a goal you will never reach.

> Also, a dialog close button gives keyboard-only users an obvious way to
> close the window without having to resort to window manager shortcuts,
> which also have to be remembered to be useful. Clearly a dialog close
> button is a help to accessibility.

yup, let's invite the GAP to this debate.. :))

regards,
--

Reinout van Schouwen
e-mail    : reinout cs vu nl