Re: [Usability] RFC: #61866

David Moles <david moles vykor com> writes:

> On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 10:50, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > We have two outstanding GtkTreeView bugs where we need some advice. The
> > first bug is #61866: "TreeView search shortcut shouldn't be ctrl-s". I
> > agree with this (isn't Ctrl-s being used for save?) and asked Calum for
> > an opinion. He came up with Ctrl-f, but unfortenately Ctrl-f is already
> > in use in GtkTreeView (moves the 'focus rectangle' one column right -- I
> > heard this is some binding used in emacs). Are there any other
> > suggestions for a keybinding?
>
> Sounds like this is a case of using the Emacs shortcuts as the default
> (ctrl-s is also an Emacs shortcut, for search). I thought there'd been
> a decision not to have the Emacs shortcuts enabled by default going
> forward?

Owen recently added keybinding themes; it's possible we can make C-s the
'emacs' theme, and find another one for the windows-style keybindings.

> I can't actually visualize what you're talking about with moving the
> focus rectangle, in a tree context, but I'd think Ctrl-f for search and
> -> (right cursor) for move-focus-right. (Ctrl-f in Emacs is basically
> right cursor -- "forward".)
>
> While you're at it, I'll bet Ctrl-b is move-focus-left ("backward") --
> I expect we don't have a standard use for Ctrl-b, but you probably want
> to do away with that one as well.
>
> Out of curiosity, is there a way (in internationalization, for instance)
> to lay out the tree right-to-left, and in that case what happens to
> these "move focus" keys?

Right.  C-f is forward, C-b is back, Left is left, and Right is right.
In a L->R language C-f == Right and C-b == Left.  In a R->L language,
these are reversed.

Thanks,
-Jonathan