Re: [Usability] RFC: #61866

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 10:50, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We have two outstanding GtkTreeView bugs where we need some advice. The
> first bug is #61866: "TreeView search shortcut shouldn't be ctrl-s". I
> agree with this (isn't Ctrl-s being used for save?) and asked Calum for
> an opinion. He came up with Ctrl-f, but unfortenately Ctrl-f is already
> in use in GtkTreeView (moves the 'focus rectangle' one column right -- I
> heard this is some binding used in emacs). Are there any other
> suggestions for a keybinding?

Sounds like this is a case of using the Emacs shortcuts as the default
(ctrl-s is also an Emacs shortcut, for search). I thought there'd been
a decision not to have the Emacs shortcuts enabled by default going
forward?

I can't actually visualize what you're talking about with moving the
focus rectangle, in a tree context, but I'd think Ctrl-f for search and
-> (right cursor) for move-focus-right. (Ctrl-f in Emacs is basically
right cursor -- "forward".)

While you're at it, I'll bet Ctrl-b is move-focus-left ("backward") --
I expect we don't have a standard use for Ctrl-b, but you probably want
to do away with that one as well.

Out of curiosity, is there a way (in internationalization, for instance)
to lay out the tree right-to-left, and in that case what happens to
these "move focus" keys?