[Usability] Re: A bunch of UI issues

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 05:01, lukekendall optushome com au wrote:

(If you clicked in the middle of a scrollbar, you jumped to the middle.
If you clicked at the top, you jumped straight to the top.  It was
brilliant. Page up and down were by shift-click on the up/down arrows,
which of course were adjacent rather than at opposite ends of the
scrollbar.)

If you drag the thumb to the middle, you move to the middle. If you drag the thumb to the end, likewise. I'm not sure how this is any worse. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add shift-click, in addition to PgUp PgDn
keys.
Just keep in mind
1) This is not compatible with existing practice (CUA and its defacto extensions)
2) Handicapped users might not be able to reach both shift & mouse keys.

Maybe you don't care about widespread existing practice. However, if you cannot make a good case for what you consider to be an improvement, then you shouldn't be disappointed by resistance of mass adoption.

--
NY Harbor 2001-9-11 facts & photos  http://www.panix.com/~bingalls/