Re: [Usability]GNOME personas

On 24Dec2002 05:26PM (-0500), Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:19:39PM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > The very first link you mentioned warns against reusing a persona
> > intended for one application in the design for another, as their use
> > is extremely context-specific. So it sounds like picking three
> > personas for all of GNOME, as opposed to a specific piece of GNOME, is
> > missing the boat.
>
> In saying "for GNOME" I mean "for the desktop shell", which is the
> sort of shell environment everyone uses. Panel, window manager, file
> manager, etc.
>
> We can split up "window manager personas" and "panel personas" but on
> quick thought it doesn't make sense to me - the "shell" should be a
> single unit that's coherent. I wouldn't expect to have a different
> audience for the panel and the window manager.

I agree that it makes sense to treat the panel, file manager and
window manager as a unit for purposes of this excercise. (The control
panels probably shouldn't be included, since it's likely that many
people will never open a single one, so already there is a different
target audience.)

Thanks for clarifying.

I still have my doubts that somewhere around 3 personas can capture
the interestingly different use patterns for teh desktop shell, but
better to have *some* design methodology than one at all, IMO.

Regards,

Maciej