Re: [Usability]GNOME personas

I haven't read the book you refer to, but we do use something very much
like these 'personas'. In the context I have encountered the idea, they
are used strictly as a vehicle for defining necessary functionality, and
- more importantly - as the background needed for designing usability
tests.

You would describe/define some 'typical' users (preferably with some
solid research behind it) and how they would use your application to
perform their tasks. That would be the needed raw material to write case
tasks for test subjects to follow in paper simulations of the interface.
It would also be formed early during feature design of an application.

I'm not absolutely sure we are talking about the same thing, of course.