[Usability]Research topic: mouseover effects

How do mouseover effects affect usability?

Some particular effects:
 1) Button prelighting
 2) Toolbars vs. "Coolbars" (Or, Gtk+ toolbars vs. GNOME toolbars)
 3) Cursor changes
 4) Icon prelighting

I've been searching the web for HCI data on mouseover effects such as
those listed.  I'm looking for testing data or sound analysis.
I don't care for opinion, standards from other platforms, or anecdotes.

I won't be able to search beyond the web for at least a few months. If
anyone else has the time and the inclination, please research this and
present what you find to this list.

Thanks,
Greg Merchan