Re: [Usability]File renaming/extensions

From two diferents point of view I think extension hidding should NOT be the default.
1) Unix does not depend on extensions.
As all you now an executable could be a text file or binary and all of this are executable. They will have or do not have an extension. If using extensions for identifying file tipes is good or bad does not depend on Gnome, and is not the idea of this discusion. I think hidding an extension could make confusions in some users and does not help.
2) It could be a security risk.
On other plataforms like Windows (I do not know Mac Os X) many troyan horses use the two extensions trick so the user may think that the file is from a different type of what it really is. For example if you get in windows a file with the name Dummy.txt.exe you will see Dummy.txt as the filename when extension hidding is active and think that it is an inoffensive text file (I know, if extensions are hidden you will notice that it has two extensions when you see one, but the risk exists and clicking on those files is really common). All antivirus newsletters I know recomends to turn off extension hidding. So I think, why sould whe add something to Gnome that coud be dangerous ? Is to anoying to have three or four characters appended to the end of the filename ??

Nico

David Lazaro wrote:

Please, please, no

i agree... please NO!

<joke>
Uhm... Am I pointing to you with a gun, guys? I would like to see your
extensions taken away from your view not your money nor your lives... ;)
</joke>

Well, it is clear to me that you don't like the idea for yourselves :)
but I will reword my proposal:

  * Extension hiding should be the DEFAULT behaviour. *

Why? First, I can't see any problem with them being hiding away. I have
used other operating systems with this feature and haven't noticed any
major drawback. And what is more important, users seem to love it;
either Mac OS X 10.1 or Windows users I have heard a lot of positive
reactions from my (not computer engineer friends) when Windows 95
offered the feature for the first time or when Apple brought back this
with Mac OS X 10.1.

Second, well, it seems a very desirable end default behaviour and all of
you should be able to turn it off from Nautilus' preferences. Now,
that's easy, isn't it?

Also, from a technical standpoint, the .extension thing is getting passč
this days. Great minds are raising against this nonsense of having file
names glued to data formats. Why is data type so "special" to be slapped
next to the file name? Well, date and time stamps at least have they own
space in a warm and comfortable i-node. Why file types can't? Ok, this
is getting a bit satirical so I'll leave it to greater thinkers than
myself to explain.

* If you are interesting in current developments that may obsolete many
granted limitations of current filesystems go to http://www.namesys.com/
and read about their current work and "new visions".

* If you would like a very good (IMHO) rant about metadata handling and
filename-extension nonsense bring yourselves to
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q3/metadata/metadata-1.html. and read;
then think; then write again to this mailing list, because I think that
this a question worth discussing.

A user test would be helpful, too. Now, taking that every major player
(Apple and Microsoft, that is) has taken the same approach... I think it
will be very easy to get right a prediction of how the final result.

Cheers and sorry for not including this before, it wasn't (and isn't) my
intention to troll in this mailing list,

David