Re: [Usability]mnemonics on notebook tabs

On 22Apr2002 02:04PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Anna Marie Dirks <anna ximian com> writes:
> >
> > I always try to add the mnemonics to notebook tabs in Evolution. Why
> > would they be bad? It seems much nicer to me to be able to use a
> > mnemonic to open the page you want than to press tab a hundred times to
> > open it. Can you aquaint me with the logic which lobbies against them?
> >
> > The only objection I can think of to using mnemonics in notebook tabs
> > is that they restrict the possible mnemonics for other widgets in the
> > dialog. Am I missing something here?
> >

> I don't really know, I just remember being told to take them out
> before. ;-)

The HIG says not to:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/controls-notebooks.html

To be honest I am not sure why, but it seems better to either follow
the HIG on this or change it, than to be inconsistent.

It could be to avoid stealing from the range of possible keys for the
controls in the tabs, and because there are generic keybindings to go
back and forward one tab (I hope).

 - Maciej