Re: [Usability] preferences, sessions, etc. notes

Hi Havoc

It is a large problem, and can be really iritating. I think that most users
don't want to configure a lot of these things.  They should just work without
people even thinking about them (in the ideal situation). People tend to
leave settings at their defaults, standards are important here. You don't go
changing to you favorite setting with every program you install. This would
take time and to much effort.

I started out putting de different configuration possibilities in different
categories. This makes it more manageble

Global settings or settings that are standard the first time a program or
gnome is used. These are often used settings by programs and are very
important to be set to the right or comfortable levels. Whatever they are
-fonts,
-language.....
-Standard programs to start up: panel, applets, programs
-bookmarks/favorits (who cares how you call it)
-animation speed
-home URL
-standard metatheme

Specific user settings (session settings).
-Programs (whith opened documents) opened on logout
-bookmarks/favorits

Aplication specific:
-webbrowserfonts abiword documentfont
-application specific theme

Windowmanager settings
-Window placement and size sould always be the resonsibility of the
windowmanager. Never hardcode window size in program. Remember window size
and position. If the user left it like that he probably likes it like that
(stupid or not :).
- I always have the problem that windows do not apear maximized when I close
them maximized. Why would anyone want to use less than his full screensize.
If you got space I want to use it.(oops bugreport sorry)

It could be like this:

-Global user Gconf file accessible trough gnome control centre

-Standard Gconf file for each application and user editable bij user.
Contains at least last windowposition and size, last 3 worked on files and
open file on the moment of logout