Re: [Usability] "Favorites" vs. "Bookmarks"

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 12:53:48AM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Nautilus has a "Bookmarks" menu. The panel has a "Favorites" menu
> (though the latter is admittedly system-wide; and actually I am not
> sure how things get added to "Favorites"). Galeon and Mozilla both
> have "Bookmarks". Can we pick one of these terms and try to use it
> desktop-wide?
>
> I don't have much preference either way but the inconsistency bugs me.

Implicitly, the GDP Style Guide has gone with bookmark. It's not
called out explicitly in our word list, but is used in one of the
examples. The example points out an advantage - "bookmark" can be used
as a verb: "To bookmark the web site, click on the doofus button..."

Consider the alternative: "To add a seb site to the favorites list..."
is less concise.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck