Re: [Usability]Re: An alternative proposal for instant-apply vs. non-instant-apply

Hi Maciej,

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> In all dialogs, changes that have not yet been applied should be highlighted.
>>>  (The widget should remain in the 'changed'/'dirty' state

>> I like the sound of this - it's definately something worth looking
>>  into. If done correctly, this could help considerably.

> > an actual user problem they'd be solving. If formal user testing
> shows there is confusion in this area we could consider changes
> like this, if not, they just seem gratuitously distracting.

Well, 1) we were looking for a way to distinguish instant-apply dialogs from delayed-apply dialogs. This seems to be a very reasonable way to go. 2) We already have this (to some extent) in the GNOME control center. If you have made changes to some setting, have not OK'ed it yet, but switch to another settings page, the name of the first setting in the tree on the left turns red. I find this a convenient reminder. 3) UI design IMHO is not about solving user problems but about making UI's as easy to use as possible. That said, if formal user testing would indicate somehow that this idea adds nothing to the ease-of-use factor, then I would agree there is little reason to implement it.

regards,

--

Reinout van Schouwen
e-mail    : reinout cs vu nl

"The world of technology is dominated by two kinds of people:
 Those who manage what they do not understand, and those who
 understand what they do not manage." -comment read on Slashdot